Monday, November 16, 2009

Is suffering bad?

Each of us have gone thru many struggles in our lifetime. Nine times out of ten, our struggles are not suffering; it is our emotions. When most of us suffer, the first thing we do is cry. Sadness is a very strong and powerful emotion.

Many of us suffer from one or two main things: death and the economy. Death is very powerful suffering; we lost someone dear to us. The economy also hits home. Maybe we, ourselves, are out of work or someone we love has lost their job.

Have you considered that suffering can be good? Yes, you read right-- suffering is good. Let me explain.

1 Peter is a great book to read if you are currently going thru a struggle. It discusses how suffering can be good. One verse speaks of suffering for God. (If you were "looked down on" simply because you believe in God.) "But if you endure suffering, even when you have done right, God will bless you for it" (1 Peter: 20)
-- In other words, God will bless you if you suffer because of him. (That is very powerful!)

Another verse speaks in terms of general suffering. "My dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful test you are suffering, as though something unusual were happening to you. Rather, be glad that you are sharing Christ's sufferings so that you may be full of joy when His glory is revealed" (1 Peter 4:12-13)
-- In other words, we may suffer for a short time here on earth, but God will give us blessings and happiness when we go to heaven.

Feel free to comment and remember that suffering does not last forever.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting logic with your boiling suffering down to one of two things. Not be be devil's advocate--but I'm thinking there are are few other reasons suffering happens. Whether it's emotion-based or other, that's up to debate, but emotions definately play a role. I do agree though, that suffering can be good. It can strengthen us; it can humble us; but my "fear" of suffering is that if one doesn't see the "light" of the suffering and wallows in it--what a world of hurt that person will be in and the scars will be deep. Loosing my "kids" as I have, I've suffered much--but each time, my suffering becomes "joyous" quicker as I remember to praise God for what I have done; the time with my "kids" I did have, and that they are now living in eternal cat-nip w/o pain or illness. Suffering can kind of be a sort of cleansing in a way. Ummm...

    ReplyDelete