Saturday, November 7, 2009

My faith story

Hi all. When I was a teenager, I sometimes felt family wasn't as important as friends. I had many friends and did not spend much time with my family.
I followed advice from my friends instead of my parents. I was like most teens in that I thought my parents could not relate to young people. Why should I listen to their advice? They did not like the same music I liked.

Now as I'm nearing my 30th birthday, I view family differently. I am VERY thankful for my parents. My mother gave birth to me and my father gave me the strength to endure in this sometimes painful world. I am also ever thankful that they passed on their faith to me.

In my studies of the Bible, I saw one major difference in the Catholic faith. It was in relation to faith and heaven. I was taught that the ONLY way to make it to heaven was to follow the 10 commandments. Faith was only mentioned in relation to God; we must have faith in God.

When I read in the Bible that faith was required to make it to heaven, I was shocked! I thought: so where do the 10 commandments come in? I was silent for a few seconds and God spoke to me. I wrote in my journal: "The 10 commandments show us where we sin. They CONVICT of us of sin. If we did not have them, we would not know where we have sinned. We must ask God to forgive our sins and have faith that he has forgiven us. Faith in God will get us heaven. Faith that He will answer our prayers. And faith by allowing him to rule our lives."

Feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting entry. First off--you're nearly 30? Geesh, I didn't realize you were so close in age. Anywho--I can relate to your experience--mine was similar. But I am having mind issues with your comment that "faith in God will get us in Heaven." I don't quite believe that. Accepting Jesus as my personal saviour is my ticket to heaven; following the commandments is a guide post (look at the Pharisee's--they were law abiding, but who did Jesus critique more than any?); believing in The Word is my knowledge; and faith in God carries out The Word.

    ReplyDelete